11/14/2008

a very nice story... and an auction

About a year ago, I received an email that was truly inspiring... it was one of those that just makes you cry, and I certainly did! So grab your kleenex box... here's an excerpt from her email...
"... as a women in recovery for 2 years now from a 10 year battle with anorexia/bulimia, your art work is an inspiration. Through recovery, my mom was afraid to talk to me in fear that I would break, or not having anything helpful to say. Our mother/daughter relationship was ripping at the seams and I felt that I ruined everything. One day, for no reason at all, she gave me one of your necklaces with the bio. She said its the only way she know how to support me. It was the best gift that she could've given me. It showed me that she was making an effort to understand and attempting to pull me off the ground and help me through my difficult time. Thank you for being the catalyst to a now amazing relationship..."

I wanted to share it because it was such a lovely story of a relationship being healed - and such a great example of the power in even a small act of love and support. I really hadn't planned on SpoonFed Art being a part of a story like this but wow - it's humbling. You just never know how your life touches others. I recently received another email from her and although her eating disorder is still a part of her life, it no longer dictates the way she lives. She's now pursuing a masters degree in Nutrition and she's working with an organization that promotes eating disorders awareness in her area. The organization, The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness, goes into elementary schools and high schools to promote positive body image awareness and to educate teens and pre-teens about healthy eating and weight issues. They also offer support groups and participate in public awareness through fundraisers and "Real Body" fashion shows. The alliance will hold its 8th annual Silent Auction tomorrow night, so if you're in South Florida and want to help, stop by and place a bid. SpoonFed Art donated a pendant to the auction and there's lots of other goodies too. All proceeds will go to support the alliance and its programs, and you never know what a small act of love and support can do!

No comments: