7/05/2008

the first visit


Hope you had a happy 4th! Yesterday, before we fired up the grill and before our sidewalk viewing of a neighbor's (secret) fireworks show in the alley, we celebrated our country through the eyes of The Beatles seeing it for the first time. Yep, we were fortunate enough to see a screening of the Maysles Brothers (Grey Gardens, Gimme Shelter) documentary, The Beatles: The First US Visit. I'd seen bits and pieces of it before - I think probably everyone has - but I'd never seen the whole film, which documents their arrival at JFK, followed by oodles of backstage antics and their live onstage performances in New York, DC and Miami Beach for the Ed Sullivan Show. It was very silly, and was just a lot of fun to see in a theater, that theater being The Steve Allen Theater at the Center for Inquiry, West. And I have to say that the whole time I was thinking wow, it's so interesting that they went from all that silliness and "I Want To Hold Your Hand" to Sgt. Peppers...

(photo: Curt Gunther)

No comments: